In a dramatic twist of event, the Osun State Police Command has finally moved to arrest Dr. Ramon Adedoyin, Founder of Oduduwa University and the Polytechnic, in Ile-Ife, over the death of a Master of Business Administration student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Timothy Oludare Adegoke inside a hotel owned by the educationist.
Dr Adedoyin is also the Chairman of Hilton Hotel and Resort, Ile-Ife, where the deceased is believed to have died; this, in addition to the land beside the hotel on which the late Adegoke was hurriedly buried in a shallow grave.
It will be recalled that the deceased, Timothy Oludare Adegoke, reportedly visited Ile-Ife from Abuja to sit for his examination at the OAU distance learning centre, in Moro, Osun State on November 5.
Adegoke who was declared missing on November 7 was found dead two days later.
The police acting on orders from the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr Baba Alkali, arrested six suspects linked to the death of the student.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner of Police, CP Olawale Olokode, through the command’s spokesperson, SP Yemisi Opalola, on Wednesday, it was disclosed that Adedoyin was arrested on November 15, 2021.
The police boss said the suspect was in police detention undergoing interrogation in connection with the case while awaiting the autopsy report from the hospital.
While thanking members of the public, especially the bereaved family, students, and management of OAU for their patience to allow the police to continue on a thorough investigation on the matter, Olokode reiterated the commitment of the state police command to ensure justice is done.
He noted that no matter the personality of the person involved in the case or how highly or lowly placed in the society if found culpable that individual would be brought to justice.
He assured that updates on the case would be made public as the event unfolds.
The death of Oludare has pitched the state police against family of the deceased who had alleged attempt to cover-up the crime by the former.
This is also as the involvement of the IGP Alkali was perfected by the family of the deceased student who had feared that the powrs that be in the state may compel the police command to cover up the case against Dr. Ramon Adedoyin, who is also a chief in Ife.
While relatives of the deceased claim he was found buried on the premises of Hilton Hotels and Resorts, owned by Dr Rahman Adedoyin, who also owns Oduduwa University, the property owner and staff of the hotel initially denied knowing the late Oludare, only to allegedly confess on interrogation.
A cousin of the deceased, Mr Gabriel Ogunlana said Dr Adedoyin had initially threatened to arrest Timothy’s brother, Gbade that after alleging that he constituted a nuisance to his hotel when the family was looking for him (Timothy) in the hotel.
Ogunlana said it was the family who contacted the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, which led the police chief to call Osun State Commissioner of Police, Olawole Olokode, before the death of his cousin was uncovered.
“It was the confessional statement of the lady staff member in the hotel, Adesola Tobiloba that led to the arrest of five others. The lady confessed that Manager 4 — the Alfa (Islamic cleric) — was always around any time they wanted to perform that act of killing. That he was in charge of the (murder) act.
“When the Alfa came, he wanted to exonerate himself. He said he left Ife on the 5th (of November). Police asked him where he went and he said he left for Ejigbo. And the police were able to track Timothy’s line to Ejigbo. It was Alfa’s confessional statement that led to where Timothy was buried.
“We noticed some kind of conspiracy on the part of the police. Alfa confessed that Timothy was not the first person they murdered this year. He was the fifth person. They were saying they knocked on the door and when it was not opened, they used the spare key to open it and found him dead. They now said they buried him. The police asked if they reported it, they said no.
“It was when we noticed the manner by which the police were carrying out the job that we began to talk to the media. They were trying to cover up,” Ogunlana said.
Speaking on the part played by the chairman of the hotel, Ogunlana alleged, “On Wednesday, when the brother of the deceased, Gbade brought the receipts of previous lodgings, the police went there with him and met the owner there. The owner said the fact that he (Timothy) came there the previous week did not mean he came there the following week. He said they didn’t see him that week. The brother called me and said ‘I’m in front of the owner of the hotel, they said he is a king, they said he is a prince. He is threatening to arrest me that I’m asking about the whereabouts of my brother.’
“That owner (Adedoyin) was threatening to arrest Timothy’s brother. He said he was constituting a nuisance to the hotel. Throughout that week, the owner was there. He was coming to that hotel.
“The elders in our family called the Inspector-General of Police in Abuja before all these things started to come out. How they discovered his corpse, the police seemed to have known. They asked us if we could identify the corpse of the person we were looking for, we said yes. They brought out a shovel, so they dug the ground and brought out a carton according to them.
“They discovered in the carton that the deceased was wrapped with the duvet from the hotel. When they unwrapped it, they discovered it was the person that was missing. They didn’t unwrap him completely; they asked that he should be taken to the mortuary.
“The police were now reporting that the carton was not really big, he was squeezed. It was there they discovered that parts of the body had been mutilated and they did not allow any member of the family to see beyond the part they revealed. They just put it in the morgue there. Then, they came back, and ordered the arrest of the owner of the hotel.
“The intriguing part of the story is that he was not kidnapped from the airport as earlier insinuated; he was killed in the hotel where he lodged. The Hilton and Resorts Hotel where he lodged belongs to Mr Rahman Adedoyin (Maye of Ife), the owner of Oduduwa University in Ile-Ife.
“Initially, when we approached the hotel to ask about him, they denied that he was their guest for the weekend. The owner of the hotel (Adedoyin) vehemently dismissed Timothy. “However, upon police investigation, the Police established that Timothy paid for the hotel and lodged there for the night. Also, they located his mutilated corpse wrapped in a blood-soaked blanket/bed sheet belonging to the hotel and buried in a shallow grave near the hotel.”
In another twist to the story, a group which identifies itself as the ‘Vanguard For The Truth Foundation,’ said it has unearthed 12 facts to the case all built up against the claims by families of the late Oludare.
Aderibigbe Adekunle of the Vanguard for Truth Foundation, a non-governmental organisation made it known that;
1. There are indications that there are some new revelations about some of accusations made against the Ife-born educationist and business man especially by the brother of the deceased who has been going all over various media to accuse the hotelier of using his brother for rituals.
2. It was gathered that the initial denial of the hotel management as to whether Adegoke lodged with them was because there was no record of any payment by him in the Hotel’s account, but it was later that it was detected that he made payment into the personal account of the receptionist which normally is wrong.
3. Another fact discovered during the investigations was that the hotel had operated for less than 2 years and had never recorded any death as the public was led to believe by the deceased brother.
4. Also, the lady receptionist who was recently employed by the hotel is on a salary of twenty-five thousand naira (N25,000) and not two hundred thousand naira (N200,000) as being spread in some media.
5. It was discovered that the person called Alfa which could be misinterpreted as an Islamic cleric and possibly a spiritualist or ritualist is actually a plumber and maintenance manager in the hotel and is neither a cleric nor a ritualist.
6. As a very busy person, Dr. Adedoyin is not personally involved in the day-to-day running of the hotel in question as he has other more important businesses which include.
5 tertiary institutions within and outside Nigeria, security outfit, publishing and hospitality business.
7. It was also found out that Adedoyin did not become rich overnight like many wealthy Nigerians, but has been in the business of education for more than 40 years starting as home lesson teacher, owner of tutorial college, a private polytechnic, and a university before venturing into the hotel business.
8. From investigations on the fees and population of Oduduwa University alone, Adedoyin obviously makes money aside from universities owned by him in the USA and Ghana where they pay in dollars and many other businesses and investments that have good returns, so he does not need any ritual.
9. It was also discovered that Dr Adedoyin is a devout Muslim who has performed holy pilgrimage to Mecca and Jerusalem several times. He has also greatly contributed to the development of Ife land and Osun State.
10. Contrary to the claim that the exhumed Timothy’s corpse was mutilated, the whole body parts were intact and the autopsy being conducted was to discover the cause of death.
11. A fact being overlooked by many is that according to the earlier statement by the wife, the deceased was sick when he left home, and that was one of the reasons the wife kept checking on him by phone calls.
12. Also, Timothy’s elder brother openly threatened to tarnish and destroy Adedoyin’s name and his businesses and has been doing just that, on different social media platforms to drag Oduduwa University into a matter that happened at a hotel.